Thursday, August 12, 2010

Route 66: By the Numbers

Total Miles Traveled from Chicago to Santa Monica: 2,677
Total Travel Time: 80 hours, 21 minutes
Total Number of Pictures Taken: 1,042

Number of States Driven through: 10 (+2 more on the way to Chicago)

Number of State License Plates Seen: 46 (only missed Hawaii, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island and Washington D.C.)

Number of Native American Plates Seen: 2 (Miami Nation and numerous varieties of Cherokee Nation)

Number of non-USA Plates Seen: 5 (Canadian Provinces: British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec and Mexico State: Jolisco)

Number of Souvenir Pennies smashed and imprinted with a design: 5

Number of priceless memories: Too numerous to count


Final Day (Post-Route 66):

We made a surprise stop at the local Fry's Electronics - a store I've heard legendary stories about for years but have never been inside as the nearest one to me is a four hour drive.  This particular Fry's was tricked out with a movie-set-like space alien theme - complete with 3-D UFO projecting out of the front of the building and a giant octopus inside (it's arms supported shelves).  Very odd.

We then took a leisurely drive through Topenga Canyon out to Malibu for a delicious lunch on the beach at Paradise Cove.  Everyone else was chilly - they'd even fired up the electric heaters on the beach dining area where we ate!) but I thought the weather was (finally!) PERFECT.  The food was excellent (and large) even though the rice almost killed me.  Who puts mango in RICE?? (Yes, I am allergic to mango, Yes I know that is weird.)

Spent some time walking on the beach and exploring the tide pools with their blue urchins, sea stars, and sea cucumbers.

The afternoon consisted of driving around the LA area and seeing the sights - Rodeo drive, Beverly Hills, etc... I had no real desire to get out of the car and actually walk around LA - not really my sort of town - I'd rather be on the beach with the sea life!  But it was cool to see a lot of places I've only heard of.

We enjoyed a light dinner with a friend at the famed Canter's Deli - I swear the matzoh ball in the soup was the size of my head!

Then it was back to the hotel to pack for my flight home.

I haven't posted pictures I took today in this blog as they are not technically part of Route 66 (nor did I include any of today's numbers in the totals above).  I will likely post a few in the coming days on my Project 365 blog.

It was a wonderful trip - one everyone should undertake at least once I think - it's a great way to see a great deal of the country!

2 comments:

  1. This is very interesting to read such an amazing articles. Whole blog was really an awesome site which I have never found anywhere.

    Brother accessories

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like and appreciate your blog post, thanks again. Want some more stuff. New exclusive song by Music MG, this is a very good song.

    Yoga i Spanien

    ReplyDelete